Stewart Downing, who is 27 years old is a traditional wide man, capable of playing on both the left and right flank. In his two year spell with Aston Villa he made 75 appearances and scored eight goals. Charles N’Zogbia is 25 years old and has played principally on the left wing, making 83 appearances for Wigan and scoring fifteen.
Liverpool paid £20 million for Stewart Downing and Aston Villa are going to pay £9.5million for Charles N’Zogbia. It has bugged me for years as to why British players are so expensive compared to foreigners? Now the facts are N’Zogbia is younger, scores more goals and is half price compared to Downing.
It still begs the question why are British players so expensive? Which of these two do you think is going to impress the most at their new clubs?
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary
- Morning Mix: Newcastle rebuild will take time, Rodgers faces first big test at Leicester
- Kylian Mbappé ‘asked to leave’ PSG amidst Real Madrid interest in summer
- Claudio Ranieri returns to Premier League as he is appointed Watford head coach
- Atalanta 2-3 AC Milan: La Dea’s comeback attempt is too late as the Rossoneri impress in Bergamo
- Lille continue resurgence with victory over Marseille
- Morning Mix: United need Conte’s tactical nous, Chilwell gives Chelsea boss a headache
- Liverpool vs Manchester City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 7: Preview & Predictions
- Galatasaray hold Marseille to 0-0 draw interrupted by fan clashes