England eventually beat Kazakhstan 5-1, but the European minors put up a strong fight at Wembley. England took the lead when Rio Ferdinand heading in from a corner, an own goal by Alexandr Kuchma then made it 2-0, before a howler from Ashley Cole, set up Zhambyl Kukeyev to slot home for Kazakhstan.
17 of the 21 players from Kazakhstan’s previous squad had been replaced by mostly under-21 players, so the visitors had a young, experimental side, eventually England were too strong for them. Wayne Rooney scored twice late on, before being replaced by Defoe, who also got onto the scoresheet.
England starting 11: James, Brown, Ferdinand, Upson, A Cole, Barry, Gerrard, Lampard, Walcott, Heskey, Rooney
Subs: Carson, Johnson, Bridge, Beckham, Wright-Phillips, Defoe, Crouch.
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 6: Preview & Predictions
- Suriname’s vice president sets record for oldest player to feature in international club compe…
- Angers and Marseille play out bleak 0-0 draw
- Marseille rise to second in Ligue 1 with 2-0 win over Rennes
- Tactical Analysis: Tottenham Hotspur’s positive defensive approach against Chelsea
- Morning Mix: Newcastle fans’ anger is justified, Guardiola comments were brainless
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 5: Preview & Predictions
- 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow snatch late point against Marseille
- Europa League 2021: Matchday 1 Predictions
- Champions League Preview: Liverpool vs AC Milan