Portugal defender Fernando Meira turned 30 on Thursday, but will have to wait until Saturday if he wants to receive his best present, a win for Portugal in their Group A opener against Turkey.
Meira, the VfB Stuttgart defender, still feels young despite being one of the older members of a young Portugal team. “I still feel young”.
“And I still have a lot to offer to football. I hope to continue helping our national team become a giant in Europe, which is what I want most. At the moment, victory against Turkey would be the best present.”
- Morning Mix: Arsenal boss under pressure, Tuchel proves his worth
- The race for the top four: Will Leicester slip up again?
- Premier League Matchday 35 Predictions
- What it’s like supporting a Non-League club
- How Jose Mourinho’s arrival could see Roma’s new owners realise their ambitions
- Arsenal’s future on the line on Thursday
- A History of Fan Protests: From Liverpool to Barcelona
- UK sport backs social media boycott, but not everyone reads the memo
- We need to be loud not silent to end social media abuse
- The Big Six is dead – Long live the Big Five