Portugal got their Euro 2008 campaign off to a fantastic start with a deserved 2-0 win over Turkey in Geneva.
Second half goals from Pepe and Raul Meireles gave the Portuguese the win they deserved, after the Turks failed to materialise on the threat they posed in the first half.
After having aÂ goal disallowed in the first half for offside, Portugal’s adopted Brazilian centre-half Pepe made no mistake on the hour mark by giving his side the lead through a stunning individual effort after exchanging a neat one-two with striker Nuno Gomes.
Striker Gomes then hit the post and crossbar soon after, before the second goal came in injury time when the substitute Raul Meireles completed a fine counter-attack by slotting the ball past two Turkish defenders and into the net, to wrap up an important openingÂ win for Portugal in their Euro 2008 campaign.
- Morning Mix: Arsenal boss under pressure, Tuchel proves his worth
- The race for the top four: Will Leicester slip up again?
- Premier League Matchday 35 Predictions
- What it’s like supporting a Non-League club
- How Jose Mourinho’s arrival could see Roma’s new owners realise their ambitions
- Arsenal’s future on the line on Thursday
- A History of Fan Protests: From Liverpool to Barcelona
- UK sport backs social media boycott, but not everyone reads the memo
- We need to be loud not silent to end social media abuse
- The Big Six is dead – Long live the Big Five