Portugal got their Euro 2008 campaign off to a fantastic start with a deserved 2-0 win over Turkey in Geneva.
Second half goals from Pepe and Raul Meireles gave the Portuguese the win they deserved, after the Turks failed to materialise on the threat they posed in the first half.
After having aÂ goal disallowed in the first half for offside, Portugal’s adopted Brazilian centre-half Pepe made no mistake on the hour mark by giving his side the lead through a stunning individual effort after exchanging a neat one-two with striker Nuno Gomes.
Striker Gomes then hit the post and crossbar soon after, before the second goal came in injury time when the substitute Raul Meireles completed a fine counter-attack by slotting the ball past two Turkish defenders and into the net, to wrap up an important openingÂ win for Portugal in their Euro 2008 campaign.
- Carabao Cup Predictions – Round 4
- Morning Mix: Villa need more from Buendia, honeymoon period over for Benitez
- Top 7 highest goalscorers in El Clasico history
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 9
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: El Clasico Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent following Saudi-led consortium takeover
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Marseille rise to third with 4-1 win over Lorient
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified