According to the Guardian.co.uk Bayern Munich and Germany striker Mario Gomez has signed a £17m deal with Italian club Fiorentina. Fiorentina president Andrea Delle Valle confirmed the deal with Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rumenigge and he said “It was Mario Gomez’s wish to leave Bayern in the direction of Florence. We’ve now granted his wish.”
Gomez was the second choice striker at Bayern Munich last season behind Croatian Mario Mandzukic. In the 2012-13 season Gomez scored just 19 goals in 43 matches compared to 41 in the previous season which frustrated Gomez resulting in his imminent transfer request. Although receiving a 2012-13 UEFA Champions League medal he only played a portion of the match as he was left on the bench behind Mario Mandzukic.
Fioreninta are a club that are on the up after they have been building a formidable squad in previous seasons and the likes of Massimo Ambrosini, Joaquin Sanchez and Marcos Alonso has already joined the club for the upcoming season. The squad boasts a strong squad including Stevan Jovetic, Alberto Aquilani, Giuseppe Rossi and Borja Valero and with addition of Mario Gomez it might be the time for the club to play for a Champions League spot.
The departure of Mario Gomez to Fiorentina may pave the way for Borussia Dortmund forward Robert Lewandowski to join the German giants. The Polish forward has been linked to several clubs in the previous month. After a disappointing 2012-13 campaign for Mario Gomez he will look to boost his career at Fiorentina and his chances of making the starting team at the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
- Juventus lining up cash-plus-player bid for Lyon’s Lucas Paqueta
- Kane & Salah to run the show in the 2022/23 Premier League Golden Boot race – or not?
- Most Successful Teams in England
- Premier League Pre-Season: Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton & Man City heading to the United States
- Inter Miami vs Barcelona: date, kick-off time & how to stream
- Darwin Nunez to Erling Haaland – top five transfers completed in June
- Five Teams Expected To Dominate At The 2022 World Cup
- Man Utd’s 2022/23 pre-season: fixtures, transfers & expectations
- 2022/23 Sky Bet EFL season: Key dates & facts
- Brazilian legend Dani Alves announces exit from Barcelona