Spain hit 5 against Austria at the Ernst-Happel Stadion in Vienna to go out with a bang in 2009, goals from Cesc Fàbregas, David Villa, Daniel Güiza and Pablo Hernández seal an emphatic win for La Furia Roja.
Spain came into the game against Austria on the back of a famous victory against Argentina, not wanting to be complacent Bosque’s men were intent on annihilating the 2008 Euro Cup co-hosts, ironically at the scene of their Euro 2008 Final triumph against Germany.
Spain suffered an early setback, the 20 year old Jakob Jantscher scoring on the edge of the 18 yard box against the European Champions, only in his 4th appearance for Austria. A beautiful dribbling move created from a throw in, leaving Jantscher free in the box, wonderfully finished off with a powerful strike and deflected into the net. Spain were quick to hit back, and on the 10th minute Mr Reliable – Cesc Fàbregas drew the Spaniards level after David Silva Teed up the Arsenal hitman, Fàbregas cooly slotting the ball home.
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified
- Spain Under-21 men’s football team continue winning streak
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary
- Morning Mix: Newcastle rebuild will take time, Rodgers faces first big test at Leicester
- Kylian Mbappé ‘asked to leave’ PSG amidst Real Madrid interest in summer
- Claudio Ranieri returns to Premier League as he is appointed Watford head coach
- Atalanta 2-3 AC Milan: La Dea’s comeback attempt is too late as the Rossoneri impress in Bergamo
- Lille continue resurgence with victory over Marseille
- Morning Mix: United need Conte’s tactical nous, Chilwell gives Chelsea boss a headache
- Liverpool vs Manchester City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups