Spain hit 5 against Austria at the Ernst-Happel Stadion in Vienna to go out with a bang in 2009, goals from Cesc Fàbregas, David Villa, Daniel Güiza and Pablo Hernández seal an emphatic win for La Furia Roja.
Spain came into the game against Austria on the back of a famous victory against Argentina, not wanting to be complacent Bosque’s men were intent on annihilating the 2008 Euro Cup co-hosts, ironically at the scene of their Euro 2008 Final triumph against Germany.
Spain suffered an early setback, the 20 year old Jakob Jantscher scoring on the edge of the 18 yard box against the European Champions, only in his 4th appearance for Austria. A beautiful dribbling move created from a throw in, leaving Jantscher free in the box, wonderfully finished off with a powerful strike and deflected into the net. Spain were quick to hit back, and on the 10th minute Mr Reliable – Cesc Fàbregas drew the Spaniards level after David Silva Teed up the Arsenal hitman, Fàbregas cooly slotting the ball home.
- Marko Arnautovic could be in trouble for alleged racist remarks
- France v Germany – divided by history, united by choice
- Manchester City’s Aymeric Laporte wants a move to Barcelona
- Monday Briefing: Eriksen survives, England trio silence doubters, Lukaku makes statement
- England triumph over Croatia at Wembley in opening Euro 2020 group game
- Morning Mix: Eriksen incident reminds us what is important, England manager demonstrates leadership …
- Nuno Espirito Santo close to being appointed as new Everton manager
- Borussia Dortmund turn down Manchester United’s £67m offer for Jadon Sancho
- Euros ’84: Michel Platini – a lead violin in a sophisticated string quartet
- Manchester City not interested in selling Ilkay Gundogan