Hearts kicked off their pre-season tonight in the Umbro Cup against Northern Ireland outfit Glentoran. Captained by goalkeeper Steve Banks in the absence of Christophe Berra, the visitors dominated the first half and took the lead with only five minutes on the clock, when Saulius Mikoliunas chipped Glentoran goalkeeper Morris from around 20 yards.
Hearts continued to apply pressure and created plenty of chances with Glen firing just wide and Mikoliunas going close on a couple of other occasions. Glentoran also went close when Zaliukas was caught in possession but Glentoran’s Gary Hamilton shot over the bar.
During the first half Glentoran made three substitutions, with this being their last warm up match before they take on Latvian side SK Liepajas Metalurgs in the preliminary stage of the UEFA Cup. While Hearts were forced to make a change when Andy Driver left the field injured after wining a free kick around the forty minute mark and was replaced by Kestutis Ivaskevicius.
Glentoran: Morris; Nixon, Hill, Ward, Taylor, Neill, Boyce, Fordyce, Fitzgerald, Hamilton, Halliday; Subs: Taylor, Simpson, Scullion, Carson, Berry, McGovern, Bowers, McMenamin, Burrows, Ferguson.
Hearts: Banks; Thomson, Zaliukas, Karipidis, Wallace; Palazuelos, Jonsson; Mikoliunas, Stewart, Driver (Ivaskevicius 40); Glen. Subs not used: Basso, Sives, Screpis, Docherty, Kelly, Elliot,.
Referee: Hugh Carville
- Carabao Cup Predictions – Round 4
- Morning Mix: Villa need more from Buendia, honeymoon period over for Benitez
- Top 7 highest goalscorers in El Clasico history
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 9
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: El Clasico Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent following Saudi-led consortium takeover
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Marseille rise to third with 4-1 win over Lorient
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified