Hearts will take on Northern Ireland outfit Glentoran in their first pre-season fixture. However, new manager Csaba Laszlo’s chance to assess his squad has suffered a set back with injuries to club captain Christophe Berra and record signing Mirsad Beslija.
According to the official Hearts website, Berra’s ankle injury is nothing serious and he should be fit to take on Dunfermline on Wednesday. This means that the recently capped defender has not travelled to Northern Ireland with the rest of the 18-man squad.
It was reported in a couple of tabloids today that Wolves are ready to up their bid to £1.75m for Berra but this still falls short of Hearts’ valuation of the player. It has also been reported that Dutch side Feyenoord have expressed an interest in the 24-year-old.
While Hearts won’t miss their captain for too long it is a different story for Beslija. The Bosnian winger is set to be out of action for the next six weeks due to a knee ligament injury. Since joining from Racing Genk for £800,000 in 2006, Beslija has been plagued by injury and has only managed to make nine appearances for he club. He spent the last half of last season on loan to St. Truidense but again failed to achieve a decent run in the team due to injury.
- What it’s like supporting a Non-League club
- How Jose Mourinho’s arrival could see Roma’s new owners realise their ambitions
- Arsenal’s future on the line on Thursday
- A History of Fan Protests: From Liverpool to Barcelona
- UK sport backs social media boycott, but not everyone reads the memo
- We need to be loud not silent to end social media abuse
- The Big Six is dead – Long live the Big Five
- Match-fixing: When 7 Manchester United and Liverpool players were handed lifetime bans
- La Liga: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Sevilla in tight, must-watch title race
- Europa League Semi-Finals Recap: Fernandes steps up in a big game, Emery returns to haunt Arsenal