Having fielded a second-best team against Romania, resting players for the quarter-finals after being certain of qualification, Marco van Basten has masterminded another victory for the Dutch team. This makes it the third consecutive win, all of them by more than one goal, and having registered two clean sheets: one by van der Sar and one by Stekelenburg. The only goal to be conceded came from Thierry Henry in Holland’s 4-1 thumping of France.
The Romanians had to beat Holland in order to qualify and make the other game between France & Italy irrelevant for qualification. Having managed to hold the two super-powers to two draws, Romania were incapable of containing the power of the Dutch. Goals for Holland came from Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Robin van Persie in the second half. These rocketed Holland into the quarter-finals of Euro 2008 and continued to prove that Holland have the ability to end this summer as Champions of Europe.
For a detailed match report by Sky Sports, follow the link below:
- Nuno Espirito Santo close to being appointed as new Everton manager
- Borussia Dortmund turn down Manchester United’s £67m offer for Jadon Sancho
- Euros ’84: Michel Platini – a lead violin in a sophisticated string quartet
- Manchester City not interested in selling Ilkay Gundogan
- Copa America 2021: Schedule, Preview & How to Watch
- Mbappé and Foden to Hložek and Malen: The best young talents to keep an eye on in every side at the …
- David Wagner close to being appointed West Brom manager
- Gareth Southgate getting it right on racism as England manager
- Ilkay Gundogan on the radar of Barcelona
- Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur in race to sign Gianluigi Donnarumma