Tottenham Hotspur recieved the Barclays Premier League fair play trophy yesterday ( 12th August) after finishing top of the fair play league.
Ledley King accepted the trophy on the clubs behalf at the launch of the league’s “Get on with the game” campaign.
Spurs topped the league, scoring an 8.56 point average putting the team ahead of Manchester United and Liverpool on 8.41 and Arsenal on 8.38.
Points are awarded for various reasons including respect shown to opposition and officials, ammount of yellow and red cards recieved and theÂ behaviour of the clubs officials.
Every year, the club at the top of the fair play league recieves an automatic entry to the UEFA cup. However the club’s Carling Cup victory over Chelsea has already granted Spurs a place in the competition so the award goes to Manchester City, who finished sixth in the table.
Captain Ledley KingÂ saidÂ “Fair play is something we take very seriously and it’s great for the club to pick us this award.
“We want to play hard but fair, show respect and this award shows we’ve done that.”
- Top 7 highest goalscorers in El Clasico history
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 9
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: El Clasico Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent following Saudi-led consortium takeover
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Marseille rise to third with 4-1 win over Lorient
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified
- Spain Under-21 men’s football team continue winning streak
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary