Stoke have reportedly switched their attentions to Bosnian goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, fellow teammate of Stoke’s former target, David James.
James, who’s struggled much with injury this season, is rumoured to have suffered yet another injury this week, a calf strain which will see him out of action for the next two weeks.
His wage demands have also proved to be a problem for manager Tony Pulis, with £65,000 being too costly for those at the Britannia Stadium.
Manager Avram Grant would like to keep the 39-year-old at Fratton Park, citing his experience as vital for Portsmouth’s continuing relegation battle.
Geographically, staying at Pompey would suit James down to the ground, who currently commutes from Devon each day to train with Pompey. His son has also been accepted as a member of the Bournemouth FC Academy recently.
However, with James wanting to play games, Portsmouth just may not be able to afford to play him. A clause in his current contract stipulates that after a certain number of games, a contract extension is granted.
Portsmouth are looking to save as much money where possible – with players currently being sold in cut-price deals.
This is a crucial year for David James, who will be looking to show England manager Fabio Capello he has what it takes to remain England’s No. 1.
If he wishes to play that badly, he could refuse the automatic contract extension providing a win-win situation for all parties involved.
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary
- Morning Mix: Newcastle rebuild will take time, Rodgers faces first big test at Leicester
- Kylian Mbappé ‘asked to leave’ PSG amidst Real Madrid interest in summer
- Claudio Ranieri returns to Premier League as he is appointed Watford head coach
- Atalanta 2-3 AC Milan: La Dea’s comeback attempt is too late as the Rossoneri impress in Bergamo
- Lille continue resurgence with victory over Marseille
- Morning Mix: United need Conte’s tactical nous, Chilwell gives Chelsea boss a headache
- Liverpool vs Manchester City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 7: Preview & Predictions
- Galatasaray hold Marseille to 0-0 draw interrupted by fan clashes