A 2-2 draw between Lazio and Marseille left both clubs in the hunt for qualification from the Europa League’s Group E.
It was an exciting game but a frustrating draw for both sides, with Lazio and Marseille outside the top two after four straight draws.
Lazio had nearly all of the ball in the first five minutes at the Stade Vélodrome, but Marseille soon asserted themselves.
In the 28th minute, Francesco Acerbi pulled Arkadiusz Milik back just ahead of Cengiz Ünder’s cross. After a lengthy VAR check, a penalty was awarded that Milik comfortably slotted home.
Marseille dominated the rest of the half but Felipe Anderson equalized in the sixth minute of added time.
Four minutes into the second half Ciro Immobile fired the Roman side ahead when William Saliba misjudged a through ball.
The rest of the game was hugely entertaining, with good rhythm from both sides. Lazio should have done better from shots just after the 50-minute mark, and Ünder’s overhit cross bounced off the post a few minutes later.
After a sustained Marseille attack that included several shots, Dimitri Payet scored Marseille’s second from a tight angle in the 81st minute.
Payet’s long-range strike clipped the crossbar late on the game, and Milik should have done better with another chance.
Payet was shown a yellow card in stoppage time, and he will be a massive loss against Galatasaray at the end of the month.
A surprise draw between Galatasaray and Lokomotiv Moscow in the group’s other game kept the Turkish side from pulling away. With two games left, Group E remains open.
- Sunday Premier League Preview: Matchday 15
- World Cup 2022 Predictions
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Leeds United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Romania’s Enes Sali makes international debut at 15-years-old
- November International Break – Preview
- Morning Mix: City dominate woeful United, Palace’s Vieira gamble is paying dividends
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 11
- Marseille and Lazio draw in the Europa League
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 4
- Tactical Analysis: How Tottenham Hotspur might shape up under Antonio Conte