Austin McCann’s stunning last-minute goal for Hearts, which earned his side a dramatic 2-1 win towards the end of the 2002/03 season, has been selected as one of Mitre’s top ten goals of the decade on the Scottish Premier League website.
McCann was far from a supportes favourite at his time at Tynecastle. The left-back was signed from lower league Airdrie and failed to establish himself as a first team regular during his time there. This goal is most likely the only thing that the majority of Hearts fans remember him by.
(I couldn’t upload a video to the goal so I will put the link instead, sorry:http://youtube.com/watch?v=eDToNyZu3w8)
Over the last few weeks supporters nominated over 80 goals from the 5934 scored since the SPL was set up in 1998. That shortlist was then trimmed down to just ten by a panel of experts and now supporters have the chance to vote again through the websites of the Sun and Setanta.
These votes will determine a top three and then the panel will decide on their winner and announce it on August 1st, around a week before the start of the new SPL campaign.
Here is the complete list:
1. Andrei Kanchelskis, 7 February 1999, for Rangers Vs Dunfermline Ath at East End Park
2. Javier Artero, 29 July 2000, for Dundee Vs Motherwell at Fir Park
3. Henrik Larsson, 27 August 2000, for Celtic Vs Rangers at Celtic Park
4. Arthur Numan, 10 May 2003, for Rangers Vs Celtic at Ibrox
5. Austin McCann, 19 April 2003, for Hearts Vs Celtic at Tynecastle
6. Tam McManus, 23 August 2003, for Hibernian Vs Rangers at Ibrox
7. Craig Beattie, 6 August 2005, for Celtic Vs Dundee United at Celtic Park
8. Jim Hamilton, 22 January 2006, for Motherwell Vs Celtic at Fir Park
9. Sean Maloney, 19 February 2006, for Celtic Vs Dunfermline Ath at East End Park
10. Shunsuke Nakamura, 26 December 2006, for Celtic Vs Dundee United at Celtic Park
- Tottenham Hotspur confirm signing Pierluigi Gollini on season-long loan
- Manchester United complete £73m transfer of Jadon Sancho
- MP calls for independent regulator for English football
- Manchester City willing to offer Raheem Sterling as part of deal for Harry Kane
- Emile Smith Rowe extends his stay at Arsenal by signing new contract
- Morning Mix: No excuses left for United next season, time to get tough with the racists
- Arsenal reach agreement with Brighton for Ben White
- Manchester City striker completes £11m move to Bundesliga club
- Atletico Madrid confirm signing of Rodrigo de Paul from Udinese
- Euro 2020 Knockouts Review: Italy’s dramatic success, Switzerland’s battles & much m…