Glasgow Rangers have confirmed the signing of Portugese midfielder Pedro Mendes from Pompey on a three-year deal.
Mendes has made the switch from Fratton Park to the Ibrox Stadium for a fee believed to be £3 million.
The ex-Porto star has signed in time for Ranger’s SPL match tomorrow, at home to Hearts.
The 29-year-old has been a long term target of Gers boss Walter Smith but a move looked previously unlikely to happen due to Pompey boss Redknapp’s, reluctance to sell him.
Portsmouth were forced to sell in the end due to the club trying to balance it’s books, having already spent £11 million alone on Peter Crouch. Smith is confident Mendes will be a welcome addition to his squad and someone who can improve the team.
Smith said, “He is a really good all-round midfield player and he will help us a lot.
“He’s very good technically and I hope he will come and improve us.
Mendes, who won the Champions League under former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, is already dreaming of winning trophies with the Scottish club.
“It’s such a great club and there is the chance to fight for the championship and win cups here.
“When you join a club like Rangers, you can’t expect anything but to win things.”
Mendes played a pivotal role during Pompey’s Great Escape towards the end of the 05/06 season. He will always be remembered for the two long range goals he scored against Manchester City and will always have a place in the hearts of Pompey fans.
He made a total of 68 appearances for the South Coast club, scoring 5 goals with none of them beingÂ easy chances.
Good luck Pedro and thanks for all what you have done for Portsmouth FC.
- Premier League season review: Who ran the show in 2021/22?
- Arsenal Set For Another Champions League-less Season
- Aston Villa set to sign Phillipe Coutinho permanently
- Arsenal vs Leeds United Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Inter Closing in on Juventus Marksman Paulo Dybala
- Man City vs Real Madrid highlights European action in midweek
- Lazio vs Milan Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Arsenal vs Manchester United: Everything you need to know
- Liverpool vs Manchester United Preview & Major Transfer Updates
- Sports News roundup: Man Utd chase Pogba successor, Chelsea takeover and Salah’s future at Liv…