Rushden continued their excellent pre-season with a 2-1 win over a full-strength MK Dons side, before a second string side drew 2-2 with near neighbours Corby Town.
The game against MK Dons was full of action, but MK took the lead when Mark Carrington drilled in from the edge of the area. Aaron O’Connor slotted home the equaliser, before a cross from himself was deflected in by David McCracken, although O’Connor was credited with the goal. There was also a 19-man brawl after Daniel Gleeson put in a shocking tackle in which Rushdens’ Kurt Robinson was lucky not to have his leg broken.
Against Corby, Rushden fielded mainly fringe players, youth teamers, and trialists. Lee Tomlin was the star as he scored a beautiful goal from 25 yards, hit the post and set up Sam Smith who drilled home and also hit the post in six minutes. Rushden got both tired and sloppy late on, and with an average age of 18 on the pitch at the end, goals from Jack Defty and Leon Mettam squared up the game.
- Premier League Matchday 23: Top-Four Race Matches to Watch & Predictions
- Premier League Matchday 22 Preview: Best Three Games To Watch
- Ralf Rangnick delivers update on Edinson Cavani’s future at Manchester United
- Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger opens pre-contract talks with big European clubs
- Romelu Lukaku dropped from Chelsea squad in 2-2 draw against Liverpool
- Manchester United in contention with Liverpool for Leeds’ centre-back
- Chelsea star Romelu Lukaku set for showdown talks with Thomas Tuchel
- Five players who are desperate to move in the 2022 January transfer window
- Fiorentina cannot keep hold of Dusan Vlahovic anymore
- Manchester United striker to request January exit