In recent weeks, the fortunes of newly-promoted Crystal Palace have improved considerably. Since appointing Tony Pulis to replace Ian Holloway, they have gone from being dead certs to drop down back into the Championship to having a fighting chance of retaining their top-flight status. Perhaps as a result of the new-found optimism at Selhurst Park, Palace fans may be feeling all nostalgic.
In the early 90’s, Palace had done something they weren’t previously known for – spending consecutive seasons in the top division. Before that, they hopped between the lower leagues, even spending time in the basement tier during the 70’s. After a long spell of Championship mediocrity, it may get fans thinking about the bad old days when compared to how they’re performing right now.
Past and present
Like many clubs of similar stature, Crystal Palace have experienced almost innumerate ups and downs. From the lows of the early 70’s to the dizzying highs of reaching the FA Cup final in 1990, Eagles fans have seen it all bar a major trophy win. Many fans at Selhurst Park have experienced these peaks and troughs, learning plenty about the team along the way.
Anyone who has followed the South London side for a number of years might feel that they know everything, but how much do they really know? According to a quiz called how well do you know your team, compared to fans of other Premier League clubs, quite a lot. The quiz, created by Ladbrokes, asked fans of each team some difficult questions, with Palace fans coming out on top.
The league is upside down!
On average, Palace fans scored seven out of 10, outperforming fans of all other clubs in the quiz’s league table. On the other hand, Stoke City sit bottom of the league, scoring a poor three out of 10. Perhaps teams who have more eventful histories tend to have more to know about their club, but Eagles fans can be proud of their efforts thus far. Potters fans on the other hand have much to learn!
Latest Football Blogs
- Monday Briefing: Leicester a model club, goalscoring keepers & Barcelona in shambles
- Morning Mix: Henderson not the answer for United, Ndidi delivers a midfield masterclass
- The stories behind Leicester’s special FA Cup win
- UEFA Women’s Champions League: Last 5 finals
- Arsenal will take on Chelsea and Tottenham in a pre-season charity tournament
- 2021 FA Cup Final: Over land and sea (and Leicester)
- NFT’s: The next big thing within football?
- Review: Manchester City’s route to an emphatic Premier League title triumph
- Why media got the Jens Lehmann racism incident completely wrong
- Manchester City vs Chelsea: 2021 Champions League final preview