Rooney and Fabregas are both also nominated for the young player of the year Andy Gray, the former Aston Villa and Scotland striker and Portuguese winger Cristiano Ronaldo achieved the feat in 1977 and 2007 respectively . The United striker and Arsenal midfielder have already won the young player award in the past. Rooney triumphed in 2005 and 2006, while Fabregas succeeded in 2008.
The Spaniard’s chances of winning may be hindered by his current injury that will see him miss the season, he has been a huge asset for the Gunner’s this season netting 15 goals and gifting 15 assists for Arsenal in the league. Drogba has been in impressive form for Chelsea scoring 32 goals in all competitions this season looking to break his record of 33 goals in the 2006-07 season for the blues, the striker has seemingly reduced his theatrical diving to everyones delight. Carlos Tevezthe bulldog striker for Manchester City has bagged himself 28 goals in his debut season for the club after the controversial move across Manchester for £25.5 million. However the favourite to take the award, Wayne Rooney has scored 34 goals for his club in all competitions, his best goalscoring record for the red’s. Rooney has shown determination by improving his heading which was often criticized and is himself recovering from an injury with the prayers of England fans behind his recovery. Personally I think that Wayne Rooney deserves the award; his humbleness off the pitch and determination on it has seen him enjoy his best season in the notorious red, black and white kit.
Latest Football Blogs
- Morning Mix: Henderson not the answer for United, Ndidi delivers a midfield masterclass
- The stories behind Leicester’s special FA Cup win
- UEFA Women’s Champions League: Last 5 finals
- Arsenal will take on Chelsea and Tottenham in a pre-season charity tournament
- 2021 FA Cup Final: Over land and sea (and Leicester)
- NFT’s: The next big thing within football?
- Review: Manchester City’s route to an emphatic Premier League title triumph
- Why media got the Jens Lehmann racism incident completely wrong
- Manchester City vs Chelsea: 2021 Champions League final preview
- Manchester United vs Villarreal: 2021 Europa League Final Preview