Spanish players Sergio Ramos and Xabi Alonso believe Portugal are one of the favourites to win Euro 2012 despite being playing in Group B dubbed the ‘group of death’.
Ramos and Alonso, who play alongside Cristiano Ronaldo, Fabio Coentrao and Pepe at Real Madrid, believe that Spain’s Iberian neighbours should not be underestimated, despite of their 0-0 draw with Macedonia at the weekend.
“One of the favourites for me this year, despite the group they’re in, is Portugal,” explained Ramos on Real Madrid’s official website. “They have players of tremendous quality.
“I’m lucky to play with some at Real Madrid and I believe they can stand out in the Euros.”
Fellow Real Madrid and Spanish teammate Alonso is also wary of the threat posed by the Portuguese despite Spain being named favourites for the tournament alongside Netherlands and Germany.
“These Euros will be complicated and, despite what bookies say, I don’t see that we’re clear favourites,” explained Ramos. “We have to be wary and humble within all this speculation. It will be tough for Spain.
“Certainly, Portugal have a great team and it wouldn’t surprise me if they went far.”
- Carabao Cup Predictions – Round 4
- Morning Mix: Villa need more from Buendia, honeymoon period over for Benitez
- Top 7 highest goalscorers in El Clasico history
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 9
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: El Clasico Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent following Saudi-led consortium takeover
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Marseille rise to third with 4-1 win over Lorient
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified