Ref Robs Italy
Mutu sends Italy fans in hell…for just one minute
A determined Romania side battled hard to push the Italians nearly to an early elimination from the European Champions. Romania have now managed to hold World-Cup Runners-up France to a 0-0 draw and World Champions Italy 1-1. Romania had a couple of chances but it was pratically luck and some slight poor finishing from the Italians especially from Bayern forward Luca Toni. The Bundesliga topscorer missed some chances which could have sent Italy way forward in the match. Then there was also the referee. He decided to annul Toni’s header which was correctly regular to keep the Italians with slim chances to qualify. Extremely disastrous refereeing there and that could have been the turning point for Italy. After having UEFA say that Van Nistelrooy’s was not offside and they have their reasons to say that, it was unprofessional to disallow Toni’s great goal who as already said was not offside. But referees can be tough sometimes.
We Saw The Real Buffon
Romania could have taken the lead after Panucci deflected a shot which then went to hit the post. It was actually Romania who took the lead against the work of play. A disastrous back header from Gianluca Zambrotta to Buffon was nothing more than putting Mutu in a good position to net Romania’s opener. One-on-one against Buffon and he did the right work. With Italy losing and thus being out of the European Championship, the Italians put everything forward and they did got it just only a minutes after conceding. Panucci tapped in a Chiellini header to bring back parity. With Del Piero being subbed, the captain’s armband went to Gigi and what a match from that man!!! Many were not backing him to be the World’s Best Keeper after losing to three goals against Dutch, but he showed the World why he is called that. You get the best out of him in the most nervous moments! Panucci was judged to have felled teh Romanian forward which was slightly dubious though.Â Chivu had said that we were going to see the real Mutu against Italy but it was Gigi who we saw the real side of. Mutu bravely went up to put Romania into a practically quarter-finals berth but Buffon saved the penalty and Italy fans got something to cheer on. The great man showing his great abilities.
- Nuno Espirito Santo close to being appointed as new Everton manager
- Borussia Dortmund turn down Manchester United’s £67m offer for Jadon Sancho
- Euros ’84: Michel Platini – a lead violin in a sophisticated string quartet
- Manchester City not interested in selling Ilkay Gundogan
- Copa America 2021: Schedule, Preview & How to Watch
- Mbappé and Foden to Hložek and Malen: The best young talents to keep an eye on in every side at the …
- David Wagner close to being appointed West Brom manager
- Gareth Southgate getting it right on racism as England manager
- Ilkay Gundogan on the radar of Barcelona
- Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur in race to sign Gianluigi Donnarumma