Incredible drama in Zurich with Italy’s Gianluigi Buffon saving the world champions from being dumped out on Euro 2008 by Romania. Christian Panucci pulled down Daniel Niculae in the box and Adrian Mutu who had already scored for his team had his penalty saved, as Buffon went the right way and manages to get a hand and leg to the poweful shot.
Mutu put Romania ahead after a mix up in the Italian defence only for Panucci to equalise barely a minute later. Both teams are still in the tournament, Italy will be relieved after a scare and Romania disappointed, they might just have missed their chance, Mutu seemed to know that as he struggled to hold back tears as he was substituted near the end.
Latest Football Blogs
- Monday Briefing: Leicester a model club, Goalscoring Keepers & Barcelona in shambles
- Morning Mix: Henderson not the answer for United, Ndidi delivers a midfield masterclass
- The stories behind Leicester’s special FA Cup win
- UEFA Women’s Champions League: Last 5 finals
- Arsenal will take on Chelsea and Tottenham in a pre-season charity tournament
- 2021 FA Cup Final: Over land and sea (and Leicester)
- NFT’s: The next big thing within football?
- Review: Manchester City’s route to an emphatic Premier League title triumph
- Why media got the Jens Lehmann racism incident completely wrong
- Manchester City vs Chelsea: 2021 Champions League final preview