Dundee United at Tannadice is always a very difficult fixture, infact, I probably feel we have more chance of winning at Celtic Park rather than Tannadice, over the years, its proven to be a stumbling block and without doubt, Sunday will be a very tight, edgy affair. It really was only in May, in the 3-0 victory, we have outplayed Dundee United for years, its hard to compare May to Sunday because there was obviously a higher level of motivation and desire – right now, Rangers lack both.
Steven Davis Scoring Against United Last Season
United, who sit in 4th, only 3 points and 4 goals behind Rangers will be without Andy Webster who is unavaliable as he is on loan from the Gers. Darren Dods will likely partner Kenneth at the back for United with Steve Banks deputising for the injured Nicky Weaver. Dundee United are a decent side, I rate Paul Dixon at left-back, for me, he has one of the best left-sided players in the SPL. Also, Morgaro Gomis and Prince Bauben are workmen like midfielders, Levein got them both from the lower leagues and they have fair re-paid him over the years.
Madjid Bougherra is out for this one on Sunday, which again puts his future up in the air, Carlos Cuellar had an “injury” before his move to Villa Park, supposedly, Bougherra will be fit for the Champions League which is no surprise. I would guess that Walter will keep Sasa Papac at centre-half, with David Weir partnering him and Steven Smith at left-back. Last weekend, we played extremley well at times, so keep it roughly the same please Walter. I hope John Fleck starts in the centre of midfield again, alongside Steven Davis and Kevin Thomson. If we’re going 4-3-3, I’d rather Lafferty was central, but I think Boyd deserves to play this weekend after a very good performance last weekend, Steven Naismith should play on the right in my view.
Whittaker Weir Papac Smith
Davis Thomson Fleck
Naismith Boyd Lafferty
Most certainly, this will be a tough test for the Rangers lads, but I think United losing Webster will be a big blow for them as they will have to change their backline which has been solid for them this season. One of the main threats, will be the pace of Goodwillie and Cadamateri which will probably really give Weir a tough game, but if we focus on playing the same football as we did against Hibs, which Fleck dropping in behind the strikers then I think we can win the game. We need to go there, dominate early on and press United high up the pitch as their defenders are not exactly the greatest on the ball. I’ll go for Dundee United 0-1 Rangers.
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent following Saudi-led consortium takeover
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Marseille rise to third with 4-1 win over Lorient
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified
- Spain Under-21 men’s football team continue winning streak
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary
- Morning Mix: Newcastle rebuild will take time, Rodgers faces first big test at Leicester
- Kylian Mbappé ‘asked to leave’ PSG amidst Real Madrid interest in summer
- Claudio Ranieri returns to Premier League as he is appointed Watford head coach