Goals from Steven Caulker and Aaron Lennon in the 58th and 67th minute respectively saw off an Aston Villa side that have made their worst start to a season for 26 years.
The match saw Hugo Lloris make his premier league debut in place of American international Brad Friedel, ending 310 consecutive premier league performances. Lloris was sturdy when called upon other than a mistake just before the opening goal that lead to Benteke heading wide from close range.
The first half saw welsh international Gareth Bale dive when Brad Guzan supposedly challenged him 30 yards from goal. Guzan was again brought into action when Jermain Defoe shot from the edge of the penalty box in typical fashion. Lloris also prevented Gabriel Agbonlahor from scoring with a smart save at the feet of the striker.
Steven Caulker’s first goal for Tottenham was deserved but fortunate, deflecting in off a Jermain Defoe strike at the back post that came about from a Gareth bale corner.
Spurs doubled their lead nine minutes later with an Aaron Lennon strike that sent an Aston Villa side home that never looked like taking a point back to the Midlands. Lennon easily beat young right back Joe Bennett before slotting the ball across Brad Guzan into the far side of the Aston Villa goal.
Tottenham had chances to make the game 3-0 when Clint Dempsey headed wide from close range and Gareth Bale was denied after Guzan tipped the ball onto the post. Aston Villa looked lethargic and never threatened Lloris in the latter stages of the matches with Tottenham easily holding out to win their fourth consecutive premier league match.
The result saw Tottenham move into 5th, 5 points behind leaders Chelsea whereas Villa dropped to 16th, 2 points from the relegation zone.
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary
- Morning Mix: Newcastle rebuild will take time, Rodgers faces first big test at Leicester
- Kylian Mbappé ‘asked to leave’ PSG amidst Real Madrid interest in summer
- Claudio Ranieri returns to Premier League as he is appointed Watford head coach
- Atalanta 2-3 AC Milan: La Dea’s comeback attempt is too late as the Rossoneri impress in Bergamo
- Lille continue resurgence with victory over Marseille
- Morning Mix: United need Conte’s tactical nous, Chilwell gives Chelsea boss a headache
- Liverpool vs Manchester City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 7: Preview & Predictions
- Galatasaray hold Marseille to 0-0 draw interrupted by fan clashes