As expected, Portsmouth today completed the signing of striker Danny Webber on a two-year contract.
The former Manchester United player was available on a free transfer after being released from Sheffield United in the summer.
The 27-year-old had been linked with moves to Championship sides Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Middlesbrough.
After impressing manager Paul Hart on trial however, Pompey were quick to tie him to the club until 2011.
If fans had any worries over Webber’s fitness, the former Watford man has been training with Manchester United over the summer.
While some may view Webber as a desperate signing, Paul Hart was delighted to snap him up.
He said: “When I found out Danny was available I asked him to come down and train with us – and I was delighted with what I saw.
“He plays off the shoulder of defenders and gives us another attacking option.
“I wanted to sign him when I was at Nottingham Forest, but he went to Watford. He’s another one who’s hungry with something to prove.”
From that last quote, I hope Hart realises we’re not a Championship team like Nottingham Forest. We might be if we soon however, if we keep signing Championship-quality players.
I am prepared to give Webber a chance however, as he wears the crest just like any other player at the club.
Given the choice between Webber and David Nugent, I would choose Webber for the simple reason that he isn’t David Nugent. He’s more likely to get a shot on target and is available on cheaper wages.
Coming out of Manchester United’s youth academy, Webber went on to make three senior appearances, before joining Watford after two previous loan spells.
Webber went on to make a name for himself at Vicarage Road, scoring 21 goals in 63 league starts. His one-in-three goal rate for the Hornets soon earnt him a move to Sheffield United.
For United, he scored 23 goals in 114 league appearances, playing one season with them in the Premier League.
While still valued at the Blades, a string of unfortunate injuries persuaded United to no longer continue his contract.
Either way, you’re a Pompey player now Danny, take your chance and make a hero of yourself.
- Aston Villa want to secure a return for Ashley Young
- Premier League 2021/22: The dates to remember as fixtures are released
- Marko Arnautovic could be in trouble for alleged racist remarks
- France v Germany – divided by history, united by choice
- Manchester City’s Aymeric Laporte wants a move to Barcelona
- Monday Briefing: Eriksen survives, England trio silence doubters, Lukaku makes statement
- England triumph over Croatia at Wembley in opening Euro 2020 group game
- Morning Mix: Eriksen incident reminds us what is important, England manager demonstrates leadership …
- Nuno Espirito Santo close to being appointed as new Everton manager
- Borussia Dortmund turn down Manchester United’s £67m offer for Jadon Sancho