Australia has had now lost its last 3 Olympics warm-up matches with pure evidence that the side has been lacking firepower.Â This wasn’t the case in qualifying when Adelaide United products Nathan Burns and Bruce Djite were scoring regularly. For some absurd reason Olyroos coach Graham Arnold(the guy who failed miserably with the Socceroos at the 2007 Asian Cup) decided to leave both Burns and Djite out of the 18 man Olympics squad and rely on more in-experienced players. Arnold’s plan has continued to backfire with Djite scoring 6 goals in 3 matches in the pre-season for Turkish Super League Club GenÃ§lerbirligi. The strangest thing of all is that Djite started for Pim Verbeek’s Socceroos in recent Socceroos qualifying and friendlies yet Arnold doesn’t believe he is good enough for the U23 squad.
It is also quite strange for football fans here in Australia why Arnold chose little-known players Archie Thompson, David Carney and Jade North as the three over aged players instead of the likes of Mark Schwarzer, Vince Grella, Mark Bresciano and Jason Culina.
Many calls have been made by fans and commentators for the sacking of Arnold for poor coaching, not the first time after a dismal Asian Cup performance. Lets just hope he proves us wrong and Australia go on to produce the goods at Beijing 08.
- Juventus lining up cash-plus-player bid for Lyon’s Lucas Paqueta
- Kane & Salah to run the show in the 2022/23 Premier League Golden Boot race – or not?
- Most Successful Teams in England
- Premier League Pre-Season: Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton & Man City heading to the United States
- Inter Miami vs Barcelona: date, kick-off time & how to stream
- Darwin Nunez to Erling Haaland – top five transfers completed in June
- Five Teams Expected To Dominate At The 2022 World Cup
- Man Utd’s 2022/23 pre-season: fixtures, transfers & expectations
- 2022/23 Sky Bet EFL season: Key dates & facts
- Brazilian legend Dani Alves announces exit from Barcelona