Overall Football (soccer) in Australia is on the way up after a strong World Cup in 2006 and the start of the new national league – The A-League.
This building up of support & strength took a huge blow on the 7th of August 2008 when Graham Arnolds Olyroos took on Serbia. The campaign received lots of abuse before even starting after horror coach Arnold made some questionable selections in the 18 man squad.
The match was one of the worst in recent Australian history the Olyroos were all over the place they couldn’t hold the ball all they could do was clear the ball and gift it straight back to the Serbs.
The Serbs displayed there lack of finish and the Olyroos their fighting power (but not infront of goal).
The match was completely dominated by Serbia in the first half with Zoran Tosic creating plenty of chances with a smashing shot in the 37 minute which struck the crossbar.
The 2nd half began with the stronger team on the attack but a funny thing happened in the 69th minute which is unique to the game of football the team defending and struggling the whole game scored a goal – Ruben Zadkovich the scorer.
A very scrappy goal for the Olyroos with another player striking and Ruben tapping the ball in off the keepers save with a huge lunge forward.
The Australians built some momentum and almost struck again with sub Billy Celeski hitting the post.
Justice was served for the game of football not Australian fans in the 78th minute when Slobadan Rajkovic headed in a corner to level the scores.
A game Serbia really should have won and an absolute shocker for people in Australia the team played dreadfully bad and downgraded the level of Australian football.
The only shining light for the Aussies was David Carney and I mean only!
To top off the awful display the telecast of the game was the worst I have seen Channel 7 broadcasting the game with the worst commentators who know nothing about football. Ad breaks after goals and after throw ins how could it get much worse.
4-4-2 pushed Channel 7 just to get the games on air why couldn’t SBS the leading broadcaster of football in Australia show the game at least if they did it they would say more then the players names.
- Juventus lining up cash-plus-player bid for Lyon’s Lucas Paqueta
- Kane & Salah to run the show in the 2022/23 Premier League Golden Boot race – or not?
- Most Successful Teams in England
- Premier League Pre-Season: Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton & Man City heading to the United States
- Inter Miami vs Barcelona: date, kick-off time & how to stream
- Darwin Nunez to Erling Haaland – top five transfers completed in June
- Five Teams Expected To Dominate At The 2022 World Cup
- Man Utd’s 2022/23 pre-season: fixtures, transfers & expectations
- 2022/23 Sky Bet EFL season: Key dates & facts
- Brazilian legend Dani Alves announces exit from Barcelona