Having won the Topscorer award of the Bundesliga scoring 24 goals with Bayern Munich in his first Bundesliga season yet Luca Toni has still not found the back of the net in the three matches he played with Italy in Euro 2008. Toni’s deadly abilities infront of the net seem to be slightly weak in the opening moments of the tournament yet a player of his calibre is expected to return his playing minutes with goals for the Azzurri. So we ask what went wrong for Toni in the opening 3 games?
He’s yet to score for Italy…will it be against Spain?
Italy vs Holland
Holland dumped Italy 3-0 in a match where Holland killed off all hopes of the Azzurri and Toni only had a couple of chances…The Oranje spirit and boosted morale by their play and surprise attacks left Toni stunned on the attack.
Italy vs Romania
This should have been the match where Toni opened his scoring account! He had a goal clearly on-side disallowed for a blatant stupid offside position according to the ref (during the match….as after he realised it was a mistake). That disallowed goal left him baffled and could not hit the back of the net in the remaining second half.
Italy vs France
Everything arrived in the best way for Toni but the Bayern Munich striker who netted two late goals to knock out Getafe from the Uefa Cup Final could not show his real class infront of goal… Excellent clear chances for Toni and he could have put Italy 3-0 or even 4-0 ahead at half-time. He missed alot of easy chances yet at least he got a penalty converted by Pirlo and got Abidal sent off…
Until now, Italy have accomplished what they aimed for…qualify from the Group of Death.. Yet they are still disappointed with Toni’s form and if Italy beat Spain I just cannot see Toni being the odd performer in that match and Toni is definitely set to shine in that match or else it is either Italy out of the Euros or Toni out of the Italy squad against Holland or Russia.
- Juventus lining up cash-plus-player bid for Lyon’s Lucas Paqueta
- Kane & Salah to run the show in the 2022/23 Premier League Golden Boot race – or not?
- Most Successful Teams in England
- Premier League Pre-Season: Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton & Man City heading to the United States
- Inter Miami vs Barcelona: date, kick-off time & how to stream
- Darwin Nunez to Erling Haaland – top five transfers completed in June
- Five Teams Expected To Dominate At The 2022 World Cup
- Man Utd’s 2022/23 pre-season: fixtures, transfers & expectations
- 2022/23 Sky Bet EFL season: Key dates & facts
- Brazilian legend Dani Alves announces exit from Barcelona