Having been part of the Italy team that defeated Spain in the 1994 World Cup, Italy legend Dino Baggio claimed that the Italians have got what it takes to beat the Spanish next Sunday. Spain won 1-0 thanks to a David Villa goal in a pre-Euros friendly and eventhough the odds are against Italy, the Azzurri still are favourites to get things done the right way on Sunday.
“Spain have not beaten Italy for 88 years in an official game. There must be a reason for that. Spain always plays well, but Italy wins more.”
“Italy always has faith, always has heart and never gives up.
“Spain, like they did in 1994, have a great team, with great players and superb technique. I think what Spain lacks is some directness on occasion. But on quality alone, both their teams are incredible.”
Spain vs Italy – World Cup 1994
“Obviously I remember that game. Qualifying for the semi finals of the World Cup and scoring a goal is not something you forget,” he continued.
“Each time Italy plays Spain I think about that game and my goal.
“Salinas missed a clear chance, or should I say, Pagliuca saved from him. If they had scored that and gone 2-1 ahead it was over, we were finished, but it was not and Roberto Baggio scored our winner.”
Latest Football Blogs
- Monday Briefing: Leicester a model club, Goalscoring Keepers & Barcelona in shambles
- Morning Mix: Henderson not the answer for United, Ndidi delivers a midfield masterclass
- The stories behind Leicester’s special FA Cup win
- UEFA Women’s Champions League: Last 5 finals
- Arsenal will take on Chelsea and Tottenham in a pre-season charity tournament
- 2021 FA Cup Final: Over land and sea (and Leicester)
- NFT’s: The next big thing within football?
- Review: Manchester City’s route to an emphatic Premier League title triumph
- Why media got the Jens Lehmann racism incident completely wrong
- Manchester City vs Chelsea: 2021 Champions League final preview