Four years ago Dwight Gayle was scoring for fun for non-league Stansted, last night he practically ended Liverpool’s final chance of lifting the Premier League title with two late goals for Crystal Palace.
The Walthamstow born striker, in his first season at Selhurst Park following his big money move from Peterborough United in the summer, came off the bench with his side three goals down as the Merseysiders were fully in control and cruising towards a 3-0 victory.
But after Damien Delaney had pulled one back for the Eagles, it was Gayle who stole the show as he side footed home from just inside the penalty area on 81 minutes and then raced clear from a perfectly weighted chest pass from fellow substitute Glenn Murray to level the game at 3-3.
With Liverpool facing Newcastle at home in their final game of the season and fellow title rivals Manchester City facing home games against Aston Villa and West Ham, it looks like Gayle’s brace has certainly all but ended Liverpool’s hopes of lifting the league title this season.
- Europa League semi-finals – Man Utd vs Roma & Arsenal vs Villarreal
- Champions League semi-finals: PSG vs Man City & Real Madrid vs Chelsea
- Former Liverpool striker urges club to hijack Manchester United’s pursuit of Jadon Sancho
- Scottish pride: When Heart of Midlothian went to war
- Why the bookies rate England as favourites to win the Euros
- The most valuable football clubs: Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich
- Social media boycott is well-meaning but ineffective in fighting racist abuse
- Tactical Analysis: Manchester United’s encouraging victory over Tottenham Hotspur
- Bouncing back to the Premier League: Why Norwich City’s imminent promotion is more impressive than meets the eye
- Liverpool vs Aston Villa – Premier League Preview, Team News & Predicted Line-ups