Gianluigi Buffon still managed to pick up a place in UEFA’s Euro 2008 Team of the Tournament eventhough Italy were knocked out during the quarter-finals. Group Rival Edwin Van Der Sar who had a good tournament and Penalty Stopper Iker Casillas were the other two keepers to pick up a best goalkeeper place. I was baffled not to see Giorgio Chiellini and Daniele De Rossi but the most shock was definitely Chiellini. The young Juventus defender had an excellent tournament starting off from replacing Fabio Cannavaro, the Italy captain to protecting Gianluigi Buffon from the Spanish Army in the quarter-final.
No Doubt About Gigi’s Place
It was obvious that Gigi was to be named in the team of the tournament having saved Italy from Romania thanks to the saved penalty and some great saves against France and Romania. In my opinion, the best save of the tournament was Buffon on Benzema in Italy vs France where Italy won 2-0.
UEFA EURO 2008â„¢ Team of the Tournament
Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Iker Casillas (Spain), Edwin van der Sar (Netherlands).
Defenders: Bosingwa (Portugal), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Carlos Marchena (Spain), Pepe (Portugal), Carles Puyol (Spain), Yuri Zhirkov (Russia).
Midfielders: Hamit AltÄ±ntop (Turkey), Luka ModriÄ‡ (Croatia), Marcos Senna (Spain), Xavi HernÃ¡ndez (Spain), Konstantin Zyryanov (Russia), Michael Ballack (Germany), Cesc FÃ bregas (Spain), AndrÃ©s Iniesta (Spain), Lukas Podolski (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands).
Forwards: Andrei Arshavin (Russia), Roman Pavlyuchenko (Russia), Fernando Torres (Spain), David Villa (Spain).
- Morning Mix: Arsenal boss under pressure, Tuchel proves his worth
- The race for the top four: Will Leicester slip up again?
- Premier League Matchday 35 Predictions
- What it’s like supporting a Non-League club
- How Jose Mourinho’s arrival could see Roma’s new owners realise their ambitions
- Arsenal’s future on the line on Thursday
- A History of Fan Protests: From Liverpool to Barcelona
- UK sport backs social media boycott, but not everyone reads the memo
- We need to be loud not silent to end social media abuse
- The Big Six is dead – Long live the Big Five