Toni had no chance to celebrate during the Euro 2008
Roberto Donadoni’s exit was affected by Toni’s failure to hit one goal, claimed the Bayern Munich Top Scorer. Toni failed to hit even one goal during the four games Italy played in Euro 2008 and a couple of sitters against France should have surely saved his blushes had he scored them but he failed.
I Could Have Saved Donadoni From Getting The Sack
He told the press: â€œMaybe a goal could have saved Don, if only I could have scored, I tried in every way.
â€œBut even if I didnâ€™t score, I believe that I gave a hand in several games and I worked well over the last two years.
â€œYou canâ€™t judge a coach on a game that was lost on penalties. Donadoni did a good job, but these decisions are made by other people.
â€œObviously, if I had scored other goals things could have been very different.â€
Toni made no contact with Donadoni after Euro Exit
He continued: â€œI am not a player who stays in contact with coaches, even though I had a great relationship with Donadoni, as I did with Marcello Lippi.
â€œLippi had a great World Cup and we won, but there were lots of incidents which could have gone against us and things could have been different.â€
Latest Football Blogs
- Monday Briefing: Leicester a model club, Goalscoring Keepers & Barcelona in shambles
- Morning Mix: Henderson not the answer for United, Ndidi delivers a midfield masterclass
- The stories behind Leicester’s special FA Cup win
- UEFA Women’s Champions League: Last 5 finals
- Arsenal will take on Chelsea and Tottenham in a pre-season charity tournament
- 2021 FA Cup Final: Over land and sea (and Leicester)
- NFT’s: The next big thing within football?
- Review: Manchester City’s route to an emphatic Premier League title triumph
- Why media got the Jens Lehmann racism incident completely wrong
- Manchester City vs Chelsea: 2021 Champions League final preview