Final Score- Middlesbrough-2 vs Tottenham Hotspur-1.
Att: 32, 623
Gareth Southgate: “We worked hard in pre-season and it was rewarded with a win in this match.
“We have showed that we are an attacking threat and we have some strength in depth on the bench.
“This is a great platform on which we must now build. For the first game of the season there is a lot of pressure but we delivered.
“We created a lot of chances after a nervy start.”
Gustavo Poyet ( Assistant Manager ): “We had a great pre-season but this is a different level.
“It was a difficult game and it looked like the team that scored first would get the three points and that is what happened.
“We did not defend well from set-pieces and that cost us the game.
“We have signed some new players and they are clever players and they now know what to expect and they have to believe in their abilities.”
TEAMS ( RATINGS ).
MIDDLESBROUGH: Jones 7 (out of 10), Wheater 8, Huth 6, Pogatetz 7, Taylor 6, Aliadiere 6, Shawky 6, O’Neil 7, Downing 7, Alves 8Â (Mido 82), Sanli 8Â (Digard 72).
Subs Not Used: Turnbull, Emnes, Adam Johnson, Williams, Grounds.
Goals: Wheater 71, Mido 86.
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR: Gomes 6, Zokora 5, Dawson 5, Woodgate 6, Assou-Ekotto 5Â (O’Hara 76), LennonÂ 5Â (Bale 65), Jenas 6, Modric 6, Bentley 8, Giovanni 6(Berbatov 65), Bent 4.
Subs Not Used: Cesar, Huddlestone, Gunter, King.
Booked: Jenas, Bentley.
Goals: Huth 90 og.
- Sunday Premier League Preview: Matchday 15
- World Cup 2022 Predictions
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Leeds United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Romania’s Enes Sali makes international debut at 15-years-old
- November International Break – Preview
- Morning Mix: City dominate woeful United, Palace’s Vieira gamble is paying dividends
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 11
- Marseille and Lazio draw in the Europa League
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 4
- Tactical Analysis: How Tottenham Hotspur might shape up under Antonio Conte