It’s Sunday again which means it is time for ‘Morning Mix’ – our weekly football column with some music thrown in for good measure.
We look at two talking points from the past seven days and point you in the direction of some of the best football writing elsewhere on the internet.
We also offer a top tune recommendation to get you in the mood for Sunday and a final thought to ponder for the week ahead.
Liverpool risk being left behind
Having made a mess of their title defence last season, hopes are high amongst Liverpool fans that they can mount a serious challenge this time around.
Much of the optimism has been sparked by Virgil van Dijk’s return from injury, but there are reasons to believe that the positivity could be misplaced.
The club are yet to secure adequate cover for their full-backs, while Georginio Wijnaldum’s exit leaves a gaping hole in midfield.
With both Manchester clubs likely to have stronger squads this season, Liverpool need to get busy in the transfer market if they want to regain the title.
£100m for Grealish is a great deal for Villa
Manchester City’s £100 million bid for Jack Grealish indicates that they will be going all out to win their fourth title in five years.
From Aston Villa’s perspective the deal is a no-brainer – every player has his price and £100m is more than enough for the 25-year-old.
Villa have already improved their attacking options this summer, splashing out around £33m sign Emiliano Buendia from Norwich City.
With Leon Bailey set to arrive from Bayer Leverkusen for £30m, Grealish’s exit is unlikely to have a negative impact on the team’s fortunes.
The week that was
Searching for the best football stories from the past week? Check these out:
- Men’s football is no longer a fit for it to remain in the Olympic Games.
- Man United have to win titles – can Solskjaer deliver?
- Dundee United’s Tony Asghar on trying to create a legacy at Tannadice.
Today’s top tune
We’ve picked out some exciting up-and-coming bands over the past few weeks and today’s offering follows that trend.
With Wild West vibes and more than a hint of the 1980s about them, it is tough to pigeon-hole Liverpool sextet Red Rum Club.
However, what is not in doubt is that these guys know how to belt out catchy tunes. Their upcoming tour should be a cracker.
A final thought
With Tottenham showing some ambition in the transfer market and Heung-min Son signing a new deal, isn’t it time for Harry Kane to confirm he’ll be honouring the bumper six-year contract he signed in 2018?
- Suriname’s vice president sets record for oldest player to feature in international club compe…
- Angers and Marseille play out bleak 0-0 draw
- Marseille rise to second in Ligue 1 with 2-0 win over Rennes
- Tactical Analysis: Tottenham Hotspur’s positive defensive approach against Chelsea
- Morning Mix: Newcastle fans’ anger is justified, Guardiola comments were brainless
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 5: Preview & Predictions
- 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow snatch late point against Marseille
- Europa League 2021: Matchday 1 Predictions
- Champions League Preview: Liverpool vs AC Milan
- The 2021/22 Football Betting Guide