Sad news this morning greeted each and every individual associated with Macclesfield Town FC. Less than 12 months after the tragic passing of manager Keith Alexander, midfielder Richard Butcher was found dead at his residence in Manchester. Times like these cast a dim, grey curtain over the insignificant matters and events in the footballing world as petty transfer wars are put into perspective. Richard becomes the 3rd professional footballer in English domestic football this season to have been taken from us, along with the sad departures of Adam Stansfield and Dale Roberts.
The cause of Richard’s death is not yet known but even at 29, he was a credit to his club and league. Enjoying spells with Kettering, Oldham, Peterborough and most notably Lincoln City, the energetic midfielder was hugely popular with everyone he interacted with.
This season, Butcher appeared 9 times, the last of which came in the 2-0 defeat to Rotherham a matter of days ago, with one goal to his name. Manager Gary Simpson was curious to why Butcher was absent from training this Monday morning, and to his dismay, it was revealed that Butcher’s life had ended. With his wife away at the time of death, the shock could only have been catastrophic for her upon her knowledge of his passing. We would like to send our deepest wishes to Richard Butcher’s family at this time of sorrow and reflect on his career as a great lower league veteran. RIP Richard.
1981-2011, RIP Richard
To sign the book of condolence in memory of Richard, follow this link to the Macclefield Town website: http://macctownfc.bb3host.com/viewforum.php?f=6
- Premier League Matchday 23: Top-Four Race Matches to Watch & Predictions
- Premier League Matchday 22 Preview: Best Three Games To Watch
- Ralf Rangnick delivers update on Edinson Cavani’s future at Manchester United
- Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger opens pre-contract talks with big European clubs
- Romelu Lukaku dropped from Chelsea squad in 2-2 draw against Liverpool
- Manchester United in contention with Liverpool for Leeds’ centre-back
- Chelsea star Romelu Lukaku set for showdown talks with Thomas Tuchel
- Five players who are desperate to move in the 2022 January transfer window
- Fiorentina cannot keep hold of Dusan Vlahovic anymore
- Manchester United striker to request January exit