Connect with us


Watford undone by another Penalty

Watford were unlucky to come away from Ninian Park, home of Cardiff City, without anything to show as another late penalty deprived the Hornets of a point away from home.

The night started well for the Golden Boys as Tommy Smith converted from the spot early in the game. Cardiff pulled level minutes later however, with a goal from Jay Bothroyd.

In the end though, Cardiff prevailed after a debateable penalty which occurred after the stated amount of injury time. Kyle McNaughton was the man who kept his cool and sent the Bluebirds fans wild.

Despite Grzegorz Rasiak still being sidelined, Watford were able to call back two of their most experienced players in club captain Jay Demerit and Tommy Smith.

The game showed little sign of producing a goal early on until Jobi McAnuff produced a moment of magnificence.

McAnuff, who picked the ball up in the left-back position, made a majestic run all the way into the Cardiff penalty area before being brought down by Stephen McPhail.  Tommy Smith then showed no hesitation in placing the ball beyond Stuart Taylor

Cardiff then started to up the ante and Joe Ledley was the first to test Scott Loach. Moments later things were all level.

Chris Burke’s ball into the middle bounced around before finding Bothroyd who put the ball beyond Loach.

After dealing with a dangerous Tamas Priskin cross Cardiff continued the pressure and McCormack saw his volley go just wide.

McCormack nearly got another crack at goal before Don Cowie scuffed a free-kick wide of the post.

After a final free-kick from Cardiff the half-time whistle brought the half to a close.

McAnuff started the second half in the same fashion as he had the first, storming forward and winning a free-kick. It was to Cardiff’s advantage however as they broke forward quickly. Tony Capaldi eventually crossed the ball for McCormack put a free header wide of the post.

The next action of the game saw Bothroyd head wide of the goal.

As the game came to a close though chances started to become a bit more regular with both Cork and Jenkins both going close.

The game looked all but over until McCormack drew an unbelievable save from Loach. The resulting corner then saw the referee point to the spot as Jenkins was adjudged to have handled on the line. McCormack then finally got the goal he had been looking for all night.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Watford