Danny Webber is the most notable casualty as Sheffield United manager Kevin Blackwell announced his list of released players.
Webber played over 100 times for the Blades, including 22 appearances in the Premier League in 2006/07. However, a succession of injuries saw him fall out of favour at Bramall Lane, and he was informed that his contract wouldn’t be renewed after Monday’s Play-Off Final defeat to Burnley.
Former England international Ugo Ehiogu will also leave the club after suffering similar injury problems, and loanees Greg Halford, Craig Beattie, Arturo Lupoli and John-Joe O’Toole have all returned to their respective clubs.
Halford in particular seems unlikely to return due to the fee parent club Sunderland would demand, after an outstanding season in Sheffield. O’Toole’s return to South Yorkshire from Watford will likely depend on Blackwell’s ability to clear out the deadwood in his squad.
The former Leeds and Luton manager has started his squad reshaping already, making Lee Hendrie and David Carney available for transfer and stating his desire to sign ‘eight or nine new players’ ahead of the new Coca-Cola Championship season later this year.
- Top 7 highest goalscorers in El Clasico history
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 9
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: El Clasico Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent following Saudi-led consortium takeover
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Marseille rise to third with 4-1 win over Lorient
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified
- Spain Under-21 men’s football team continue winning streak
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary