After the recent announcement concerning this years Ballon d’Or. Surely it’s pretty obvious which man is in main contention to be crowned world player of the year. A certain extraordinary Portuguese superstar is leading the chase by quite a distance. Not many would disagree that this candidate for the 2014 crown is well deserved.
A dominant campaign by Real Madrid winning last seasons Champions League there 10th ‘La Decima’, they have a strong showing of 5 players, which include Angel Di Maria of Manchester United now. On the other hand, Atletico Madrid after a stunning season winning their first La Liga since 1996 have 2 candidates, however both Diego Costa and Thibaut Courtois are currently playing their trade at Stamford bridge these days. Catalan giants Barcelona after a relatively poor season will still make a case that their own superstar Lionel Messi deserves astonishingly his 5th Ballon d’Or. After a injury hit season Messi still managed 41 goals and 14 assists, which for most people is a extremely impressive record but it hasn’t been the Argentinians best season.
However, a good showing in last summers World Cup and collecting player of the tournament, in largely controversial circumstances states his claim. Under new manager Luiz Enrique, Messi has started wonderfully playing in a rather deeper role than previous years. The 27 year old is still Barcelona’s go to man and that will not change in a hurry. 9 goals and 9 assists proves his continued presence spearheading the new forward line along side another nominee Neymar. The Brazilian, 22, led Brazil’s World Cup attack very well until a unfortunate injury ruled him out. We all know what happened next. The former Santos man has started this season on top of his game, seemly a more mature figure and enjoying his football, subsequently sitting second in the La Liga scoring charts.
Probably the most surprising aspect of the 23 nominated players was the omission of Luis Suarez. Many wouldn’t disagree that if the bite on Giorgio Chiellini never happened Suarez could of been in contention for a top 3 finish depending on how Uruguay could of fared with the hot headed maverick. To conclude the contenders, German champions Bayern Munich have 6 including Toni Kroos this will be mainly due to Germany winning there first World Cup since 1990. Manchester City, Chelsea, Juventus, PSG, and Monaco all have one player each.
Back to the favourite. Tipped my basically everyone to win the iconic golden ball once again. The goal-scoring feats which have been matched by nobody over the past twelve months and leaving the whole football world gobsmacked. A quite outstanding 51 goals last season is beginning to seem the norm, which of course it isn’t, 274 goals in 261 games for Real speaks for itself. Fitness concerns hampered performance levels during the summer, however there was still glimpses of what was to come for the following season. 9 league games in and 17 goals scored is most certainly on track for well over 50. At the age of 29, and at the height of his powers. There seems to be no stopping Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Europa League semi-finals – Man Utd vs Roma & Arsenal vs Villarreal
- Champions League semi-finals: PSG vs Man City & Real Madrid vs Chelsea
- Former Liverpool striker urges club to hijack Manchester United’s pursuit of Jadon Sancho
- Scottish pride: When Heart of Midlothian went to war
- Why the bookies rate England as favourites to win the Euros
- The most valuable football clubs: Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich
- Social media boycott is well-meaning but ineffective in fighting racist abuse
- Tactical Analysis: Manchester United’s encouraging victory over Tottenham Hotspur
- Bouncing back to the Premier League: Why Norwich City’s imminent promotion is more impressive than meets the eye
- Liverpool vs Aston Villa – Premier League Preview, Team News & Predicted Line-ups