A second-half header from Andrew Barcham sent Gillingham through to the second round of the FA Cup after they secured a 1-0 win against Bury at Gigg Lane on Saturday.
Bury started the game brightly and came close to opening the scoring after just two minutes when Andy Morrell cut in from the right, before seeing his shot deflected over the bar for a corner.
Gillingham registered the first shot on target after seven minutes but Adam Miller’s effort failed to trouble Bury goalkeeper Wayne Brown.
The home side continued to push forward and had the ball in the net on 15 minutes when Brian Barry-Murphy’s corner was headed home by Paul Scott, but referee Andy Haines ruled the goal out after spotting a foul inside the area.
Albert Jarrett’s right-sided cross briefly caused panic in the Bury area, before Elliott Bennett went close at the other end with a long-range effort which finished just over the bar.
Curtis Weston also went close with a 43rd minute header which was saved by Brown.
In the second half, Bury came out strongly and were denied a certain goal on 47 minutes when Barry Fuller made a brilliant last ditch tackle on Morrell.
Gillingham failed to offer much of an attacking threat throughout the second half as Bury continued to try and find a breakthrough.
Morrell headed over for the home side before Jarrett saw his free-kick go straight into the hands of Brown.
Gillingham opened the scoring against the run of play when Curtis Weston found himself in space on the right, before sending over a cross which was headed home by Andrew Barcham on 71 minutes.
Bury immediately pushed forward in search of an equaliser and Gillingham goalkeeper Alan Julian had to be at his best to save a close range shot from Michael Jones after 73 minutes.
The Shakers threw men forward in an effort to find the equaliser but Gillingham held out and will be in the hat for the second round.
- Premier League season review: Who ran the show in 2021/22?
- Arsenal Set For Another Champions League-less Season
- Aston Villa set to sign Phillipe Coutinho permanently
- Arsenal vs Leeds United Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Inter Closing in on Juventus Marksman Paulo Dybala
- Man City vs Real Madrid highlights European action in midweek
- Lazio vs Milan Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Arsenal vs Manchester United: Everything you need to know
- Liverpool vs Manchester United Preview & Major Transfer Updates
- Sports News roundup: Man Utd chase Pogba successor, Chelsea takeover and Salah’s future at Liv…