The 2007-08 FA Cup was a spectacular competition that incredibly saw the downfall of all the big four by the quarter-final stage.
Manchester United beat Arsenal in the 5th round, before losing at home to eventual winners Portsmouth. After going 2-1 down at Anfield to Blue Square South (6th tier of English football) side Havant and Waterlooville, Liverpool managed to get to the 5th round only to be knocked by Barnsley (of the Coca Cola League Championship). And after being Liverpool, Barnsley went on to beat Chelsea at Oakwell in the quarter-finals.
Such giant-killing has made me sort of optimistic about my team Gillingham’s chances in the FA Cup this season. We travel up to Lancashire in the 1st round of the FA Cup tomorrow, to take on fellow League Two side Bury at Gigg Lane.
It’s a game we should win, especially given that loan signings Leigh Mills and Andrew Barcham (both on loan from Tottenham Hotspur) have been given clearance to play. Also, key midfielder Curtis Weston returns to the side following a dead leg, which is a welcome boost for the Gills.
However, with up-front trio Simeon Jackson (ankle), Mark McCammon (hamstring), and Dennis Oli (foot) all out injured, and midfielder Nicky Southall who is cup-tied, it most probably won’t be plain-sailing for the Gills.
Hopefully Gillingham can build on their 1-0 away win at Macclesfield with a victory at Gigg Lane, against a Bury side who lie three places above the Gills in 7th, in the Coca Cola League Two table.
And after Bury have lost their last three home games (0-1 against Exeter City, 1-2 against Luton Town, 1-2 against Rotherham United), now is the time to strike for the Gills, if they are to remain in the FA Cup, and continue along on the road to Wembley.
- Premier League season review: Who ran the show in 2021/22?
- Arsenal Set For Another Champions League-less Season
- Aston Villa set to sign Phillipe Coutinho permanently
- Arsenal vs Leeds United Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Inter Closing in on Juventus Marksman Paulo Dybala
- Man City vs Real Madrid highlights European action in midweek
- Lazio vs Milan Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Arsenal vs Manchester United: Everything you need to know
- Liverpool vs Manchester United Preview & Major Transfer Updates
- Sports News roundup: Man Utd chase Pogba successor, Chelsea takeover and Salah’s future at Liv…