Manchester United beat Blackburn two nil at a rainsweept Ewood Park on Saturday, Rovers had started well but couldn’t capitalise and as the first half progressed Man Utd began to dominate with Wayne Rooney impressing.
The lead though was to come in controversial fashion, as Blackburn fans and manager Paul Ince complained that as the Rovers goalkeeper was fouled by Vidic as came to claim a Rooney cross and the ball was scrambled home by United’s Wes Brown.
After the Ince said of the incident: “If the referee can’t see it then he shouldn’t be a referee. If not then the linesman should see it – it was a diabolical decision….I wouldn’t say it cost us the game but it was 0-0”.
In the second half Manchester continued to press and passed the ball around freely as Rovers sat back, in the Rovers goal Brown made a string of saves, but was helpless with United’s second, as Rooney deservedly got on the scoresheet with a smashing strike. Ronaldo and Tevez could have added more for the reds and in the end it was a disappointing home result for Blackburn, the Ewood faithful will expect better after the international break when Rovers play near neighbours Bolton Wanderers.
Rovers Lineup: Brown, Ooijer, Samba, Nelsen, Olsson, Emerton, Kerimoglu (Andrews 68), Warnock, Pedersen (Treacy 58), Derbyshire, Roque Santa Cruz (Roberts 50).
Ewood Attendance: 27,321
- Premier League season review: Who ran the show in 2021/22?
- Arsenal Set For Another Champions League-less Season
- Aston Villa set to sign Phillipe Coutinho permanently
- Arsenal vs Leeds United Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Inter Closing in on Juventus Marksman Paulo Dybala
- Man City vs Real Madrid highlights European action in midweek
- Lazio vs Milan Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Arsenal vs Manchester United: Everything you need to know
- Liverpool vs Manchester United Preview & Major Transfer Updates
- Sports News roundup: Man Utd chase Pogba successor, Chelsea takeover and Salah’s future at Liv…