Palmeiras played the first game of Campeonato Brasileiro yestarday, against Coritiba:
Thinking about the Libertadores, Palmeiras’ coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo choosed to enter with the reserves and let the first 11’s resting. But after the defeat in the first half with poor creativity, he started the second half with the best three players in the team: Keirrison, Diego Souza and Cleiton Xavier.
Ans they actually made the difference in the game: Cleiton Xavier made a great pass to Jefferson to cross to Wiilians scores the first goal; and Diego Souza made a great dribble to pass the ball to Marcão, that served Keirrisson to score the winning goal.
That was a great result, because being the first round teams think they can catch up later in the tournament, but these points can make the difference in the end.
Palmeiras play again this wednesday, against Sport, for the second leg of Libertadores’ game. The 1-0 advantage in the first leg and the recent retrospect against this rival (2-1-0 this year) make Palmeiras’ the favorite to going to the quarter finals.
- Morning Mix: Tottenham star has a point to prove, Chile have an unlikely hero
- Tottenham Hotspur will not appoint Gennaro Gattuso as their new manager
- AC Milan sign Fikayo Tomori from Chelsea in £30m deal
- Tactical Analysis: Why Italy seem to be the most well-rounded side in the Euros
- Aston Villa want to secure a return for Ashley Young
- Premier League 2021/22: The dates to remember as fixtures are released
- Marko Arnautovic could be in trouble for alleged racist remarks
- France v Germany – divided by history, united by choice
- Manchester City’s Aymeric Laporte wants a move to Barcelona
- Monday Briefing: Eriksen survives, England trio silence doubters, Lukaku makes statement