Connect with us


Two Missed Penalties & an Extra-time Winner – Everton vs Chelsea Carling Cup

A small crowd of just over twenty-three thousand witnessed a classic at Goodison park, the first shock of the evening came when Jan Mucha was selected ahead of Tim Howard.

Everton began the game well, with Louis Saha forcing Ross Turnbull into a smart save at his near post. It was the Frenchman again causing Chelsea problems, turning on the edge of the area before unleashing a shot which was a comfortable save in the end for the Chelsea keeper. Chelsea then won themselves a penalty with Jack Rodwell fouling Anelka just inside the area. Anelka stepped up and blazed it wide of the post to the sheer delight of the Evertonians.

The game then went flat for a long period, with various scrappy fouls and both teams giving away possession cheaply, until on 37 mins, a seemingly harmless ball into the box by Kalou was fumbled by Jan Mucha into his own net giving the West Londoners the lead.

Half time soon came and at the break Everton made one change, captain Phil Neville coming off with a suspected hamstring injury, was replaced by Tony Hibbert. Everton started the second half brightly, pressuring Chelsea. On 56 minutes, Louis Saha was brought down by Ross Turnbull and Everton had a penalty, Turnbull was sent off for the challenge. Lukaku was sacrificed to bring on Czech keeper Petr Cech. Baines stepped up, smacked it down the middle, Cech saved with his legs. It fell back to Baines, before Cech made another great save.

From then on it was all Everton, Royston Drenthe’s free kick clipped the top of the bar. Everton were dominating the game and the Goodison faithful responded! David Moyes brought on Seamus Coleman for Jack Rodwell and Denis Stracqualursi for Diniyar Bilyaletdinov.

Coleman gave the Chelsea left back nightmares, and on 83 mins Louis Saha nodded in Coleman’s cross to equalise for the blues. Royston Drenthe went close soon after, drilling the ball across goal just missing the far post by inches. Denis Stracqualursi had the chance to win it for the Toffees but he nodded a free header over the top from the edge of the 6 yard box. Extra time finally came for Chelsea and Andre Villas Boas breathed a sigh of relief.

Chelsea started the first period of extra time brightly, a Chelsea corner was headed out and it seemed Royston Drenthe was in the clear for Everton. However he was judged to have fouled Chelsea full back Ryan Bertrand, he was shown his second yellow card and Everton were then down to 10 men.

From that point it was all Chelsea, Everton were pinned back in their own box. A clever through ball got Malouda to the by-line, he cut it back for Nicolas Anelka who’s shot was blocked on the line by Leighton Baines, the ball deflected onto the post before Jan Mucha pounced on it. Chelsea’s dominance continued, and Everton’s resistance finally broke on 115 mins. It was Malouda again who struck a fierce shot from 20 yards, Mucha could only parry it into Sturridge’s path and he slotted home for 2-1 to the visitors. But Everton refused to give up, Saha forced Cech into another decent save, but the West London side held on to claim a very good victory which sees them through to the next round.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Everton