Rovers had a comfortable first pre-season run out against Cambridge United on Tuesday night, but it was more about fitness than the result. Big Sam elected to give no players more than 45 minutes in the game, which meant Rovers had used all of their outfield substitutes when Keith Treacy was injured with ten minutes to go.
This gave reserve goalkeeper Jason Brown the chance to play out on pitch for once, in an attacking midfield role, to the delight of the travelling Blackburn support, who cheered Brownie’s every touch of the ball. Allardyce enjoyed Brown’s one off run out, commenting to the official Rovers site:
“We asked the ref if we could put one of the subs on that we’d brought off at half time, but he said ‘no you can’t do it’.
So we were left with only Brownie left when young Keith got injured and he wanted to go and have a little run out.
He looked like John Barnes out there didn’t he?”
Blackburn’s goals in the win came as two either side of half time, Keith Andrews scored from a free-kick on 27 minutes with El-Hadji Diouf scoring the second on 37 minutes. With the entire outfield ten for the second half, the side scored twice in the 2nd period, both goals came from easy Jason Roberts tap-ins.
Next up is AS Roma in Italy on Thursday night, who will prove a tougher opposition, we may even see A.Trialist (Christian Vieri) appear at some stage for Blackburn, be interesting to see what kind of condition he is in.
- Five Teams Expected To Dominate At The 2022 World Cup
- Man Utd’s 2022/23 pre-season: fixtures, transfers & expectations
- 2022/23 Sky Bet EFL season: Key dates & facts
- Brazilian legend Dani Alves announces exit from Barcelona
- Manchester United keen to sign Christian Eriksen on a free transfer
- Darren Bent offers his view on Liverpool’s interest in Paul Pogba
- 2021/22 Champions League end of season awards: Best player, best manager, and more
- Premier League season review: Who ran the show in 2021/22?
- Arsenal Set For Another Champions League-less Season
- Aston Villa set to sign Phillipe Coutinho permanently