Last Saturday Palmeiras got knocked-out of Campeonato Paulista:
Different from the first leg, Santos played ay better than Palmeiras, and had no problem to guarantee the place in the final. Instead of playing defensively, Santos played as if the team had no advantage and easily beat Palmeiras.
Just like the game against Sport, Palmeiras had problems to build-up plays when Santos defensive line was deep in their defensive field. One of the problems is that the strikers, Keirrison and Ortigoza, can’t hold the ball to make time for the other players to search for empty spaces to be target to passes.
More than all of this, Santos was way more motivated than Palmeiras, since their dramatic classification to the playoffs. If Palmeiras had that motivation, the team might be able to revert the result, but Santos will strength made them play better.
Palmeiras motivation was clearly out of tune, showed when Domingos went from the bench to bully Diego Souza and Palmeiras’ player fell into his trap, being sent off.
Palmeiras played 4 decisions in this month, and was able to win only one. Thursday the team will face LDU, at Palestra Italia, and a defeat ends Palmeiras’ chances of going to the playoffs. I just hope that the defeat against Santos motivate the players.
- Morning Mix: Tottenham star has a point to prove, Chile have an unlikely hero
- Tottenham Hotspur will not appoint Gennaro Gattuso as their new manager
- AC Milan sign Fikayo Tomori from Chelsea in £30m deal
- Tactical Analysis: Why Italy seem to be the most well-rounded side in the Euros
- Aston Villa want to secure a return for Ashley Young
- Premier League 2021/22: The dates to remember as fixtures are released
- Marko Arnautovic could be in trouble for alleged racist remarks
- France v Germany – divided by history, united by choice
- Manchester City’s Aymeric Laporte wants a move to Barcelona
- Monday Briefing: Eriksen survives, England trio silence doubters, Lukaku makes statement