It has been 47 years since Gillingham last beat Exeter City at St.James’s Park (Exeter’s ground, not Newcastle’s), and it looks like it will be another year before they get a chance again.
It was a poor performance by the Gills yesterday, as they lost 3-0. And it was even worse for me, as I wasted £30 of my money and 14 hours of my day to travel down to the Southwest to watch them!
A poor performance by Gillingham, and one that saw them 3-0 down at half time. They responded in the second half, having several half chances and even hitting the post through Albert Jarrett, but it was not to be as the Gills suffered their third away defeat in a row.
For what it’s worth, here is an account of Exeter City’s three goals, in a fantastic performance for the Grecians (Exeter’s nickname):
1-0: A nightmare start for the Gills as they went behind with just seven minutes gone. Veteran forward Marcus Stewart sent a deep cross to the far post for Richard Logan to head home and give his side the lead.
2-0: Five minutes from half-time and Exeter City made it 2-0. Ryan Harley had an initial effort saved by Gills’ keeper Simon Royce, but Adam Stansfield was on hand to sweep in the rebound to double the Grecians’ lead.
3-0: Only minutes later and Exeter decided to score a third. Adam Stansfield felt like his second of the game, as he capitalised on a defensive error by John Nutter and beat Garry Richards before placing his shot past Simon Royce.
Three-nil to the Grecians and game over for the not-so mighty Gills, and their dejected fans, who made the 5 hour journey all the way to Devon in the Southwest of England, for nothing.
- Premier League season review: Who ran the show in 2021/22?
- Arsenal Set For Another Champions League-less Season
- Aston Villa set to sign Phillipe Coutinho permanently
- Arsenal vs Leeds United Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Inter Closing in on Juventus Marksman Paulo Dybala
- Man City vs Real Madrid highlights European action in midweek
- Lazio vs Milan Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Arsenal vs Manchester United: Everything you need to know
- Liverpool vs Manchester United Preview & Major Transfer Updates
- Sports News roundup: Man Utd chase Pogba successor, Chelsea takeover and Salah’s future at Liv…