Connect with us


Three Wins in a Row at Home for the Mighty Gills

After two disappointing away defeats, Gillingham got back to winning ways with a third successive victory at the KRBS Priestfield Stadium. An own goal from Port Vale centre-back John McCombe gave the Gills a 1-0 win.

Port Vale, who are managerless after the departure of Lee Sinnott, had the better of the opening exchanges, and had the game’s first real chance on 3 minutes, when Shane Tudor hit a good shot, but it was straight at Simon Royce.

This meant Gillingham’s first real chance didn’t arrive until 15 minutes. John Nutter smashed a shot just wide of the left post following a Charlie Daniels corner.

The Gills had another chance minutes later when Nutter turned provider for Andrew Crofts, but the Welsh international could only direct his header straight at keeper Joe Anyon.

As the half-hour mark passed, Gillingham started to take control of the game, and this was made evident when they took the lead on 33 minutes. John Nutter’s dangerous free-kick was headed in by centre-back John McCombe, who headed into his own net to put the Gills 1-0 up.

Port Vale didn’t really manage to respond, as Gillingham went on to dominate the rest of the first half and had two more decent opportunities before the interval.

The start of the second half was a stark contrast to the first, as both teams exploded into action. Gillingham had a golden opportunity on 51 minutes when debutant Andrew Barcham almost doubled Gillingham’s lead. The on-loan striker had a lobbed effort turned onto the crossbar by Vale defender Luke Prosser. Simeon Jackson could not convert the follow-up.

The Gills had another good opportunity on 65 minutes. After being fouled on the edge of the area, Charlie Daniels had Vale keeper Joe Anyon scrambling as he tried to keep hold of a deflected free-kick.

At the other end, John Nutter was on hand to preserve Gillingham’s lead, after Anthony Griffin saw Royce out of position and tried to take advantage with a long range shot.  

Garry Richards had another good chance on 72 minutes, when he saw his header go just wide, while the Vale were pushing to achieve something from the match, and had Simon Royce in action on 77 minutes. Marc Richards forced Royce into a great save to keep Gillingham in the lead.

The Gills had yet another good opportunity when Simeon Jackson beat Anyon at his near post after being put through by Curtis Weston. The Canadian could not take advantage however, as he saw his shot rebound off the post.

Andrew Crofts had another chance for the Gills, his low effort from the edge of the box again forcing Anyon into a save.

Port Vale pushed for an equaliser in the last few minutes, but the Gills held on and secured their third successive win at the KRBS Priestfield stadium. A good result to erase the bad memories of last week’s defeat, and the 7-0 drubbing the week before.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Gillingham