The 207th merseyside derby is only a day away and the race is on for 4th place as most everton fans know if they don’t win then they can kiss thier champions league dream goodbye.
Andy Gray has already spoken about how he thinks Liverpool are going to think ahead to the game:
“The side that Benitez picks for the league game against Arsenal between the Champions League games might be different and that gives Everton the chance to leapfrog them again.
David Moyes has only fourth place to concentrate on and he can pick his best team for every game and get on with it. There’s no value in resting anybody with just seven games left – whereas Benitez has got big games to think about.
I think Mascherano has been very important to them. It will be interesting to see what Benitez does. Their system has proved quite fruitful with Steven Gerrard just off the striker. But that has been against teams who you wouldn’t actually say have been rock-solid at the back.
On Sunday against Man Utd it would have been interesting to see how Gerrard and Torres would have got on. There wasn’t a lot happening for Liverpool even before the sending off.
It will be interesting to see how they fare against a very good Everton defence. We will have to see if he drops Gerrard back into the middle of midfield or whether he brings in someone like Lucas to play alongside Xabi Alonso.”
The Reds lost 3-0 to Manchester United last time out, losing influential midfielder Javier Mascherano to suspension in the process.
Thereâ€™s also the added factor of a triple-header with Arsenal, which follows hot on the heels of the derby clash.
While Rafa Benitez’s side play the Gunners in the league in between their two European meetings, Everton have a home match against lowly Derby County.
- Tottenham Hotspur confirm signing Pierluigi Gollini on season-long loan
- Manchester United complete £73m transfer of Jadon Sancho
- MP calls for independent regulator for English football
- Manchester City willing to offer Raheem Sterling as part of deal for Harry Kane
- Emile Smith Rowe extends his stay at Arsenal by signing new contract
- Morning Mix: No excuses left for United next season, time to get tough with the racists
- Arsenal reach agreement with Brighton for Ben White
- Manchester City striker completes £11m move to Bundesliga club
- Atletico Madrid confirm signing of Rodrigo de Paul from Udinese
- Euro 2020 Knockouts Review: Italy’s dramatic success, Switzerland’s battles & much m…