Unfortunately, today we came off worse in a decent game of football but it was our inability to defend that cost us the match as usual.
The first half was pretty uneventful as both sides had a couple of chances, the worst of which was a terrible miss from Steven Warnock from about 10 yards out.
The second half is when everything happened. In the 48th minute we were caught napping by a swinging cross from Glen Johnson to Peter Crouch who nodded in the ball with ease. Samba should of had him covered. Then it went from bad to worse when Niko Kranjcar fed the ball to Jermain Defoe who took it past Samba with ease and then slotted the ball home for a 2-0 lead to Portsmouth.
About 10 minutes later, we brought on Matt Derbyshire for Benni Mccarthy(who hadn’t touched the ball in the first half). He then headed in a looping header over David James from a Pedersen cross to make it 2-1. From then on, Blackburn were all over Portsmouth and had numerous chances. Finally, Tugay drove a low shot into the bottom corner from about 25 yards out in the 66th minute to make the game level.
We then had two disallowed goals, one was blatantly offside from Derbyshireand the other was a very debatable decision where the ball came to Samba who jostled with Bouba Diop which led to a foul be given after a goal mouth scramble which led to Derbyshire scoring the disallowed goal.
With about 10 minutes to go, Bouba Diop surged forward past Pedersen and Warnock (who really should have done better) then had a powerful shot which was parried by Paul Robinson. The ball came out past several Blackburn defenders who were somehow unable to clear it and it fell nicely to Davis who cheekily chipped the ball over Robinson to win the game for Portsmouth.
Overall, I would say that we were quite unlucky not to come away with any points but things need to improve or else we will find ourselves cemented in the bottom three. I was glad to see that Tugay started instead of Mokoena and that Warnock started in his preferred position of left back.
From the BBC website:
Portsmouth:James, Johnson, Distin, Pamarot, Belhadj, Little (Kranjcar 46), Diop, Hughes, Armand Traore (Davis 76), Crouch (Kanu 69), Defoe.
Subs Not Used: Ashdown, Hreidarsson, Mvuemba, Nugent.
Goals: Crouch 49, Defoe 53, Davis 79.
Blackburn: Robinson, Ooijer, Samba, Nelsen, Warnock, Emerton, Andrews, Kerimoglu, Pedersen (Villanueva 87), Roque Santa Cruz, McCarthy (Derbyshire 61).
Subs Not Used: Brown, Mokoena, Simpson, Fowler, Roberts.
Goals:Derbyshire 62, Kerimoglu 67.
Ref:Mark Halsey (Lancashire).
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary
- Morning Mix: Newcastle rebuild will take time, Rodgers faces first big test at Leicester
- Kylian Mbappé ‘asked to leave’ PSG amidst Real Madrid interest in summer
- Claudio Ranieri returns to Premier League as he is appointed Watford head coach
- Atalanta 2-3 AC Milan: La Dea’s comeback attempt is too late as the Rossoneri impress in Bergamo
- Lille continue resurgence with victory over Marseille
- Morning Mix: United need Conte’s tactical nous, Chilwell gives Chelsea boss a headache
- Liverpool vs Manchester City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 7: Preview & Predictions
- Galatasaray hold Marseille to 0-0 draw interrupted by fan clashes